Groups Outside of LLL that CLT Collaborates With
- KOKUA Program
- Use of room for administering final exams to students with disabilities.
- Office of Multicultural Student Services (OMSS)
- Providing a short orientation to the Center and introduction to languages for elementary and middle school students often from multicultural and disadvantaged communities
- Hosted a visit by a diverse group of approximately 30 students from McKinley High School in the Arts Communication Pathway. A presentation on the language programs at UH was given and the students were given the opportunity to listen, speak and record themselves in various languages.
- Center for Asia Pacific Exchange
- Rental of the PC Lab for sessions with English teachers from Korea.
- UH Mānoa School of Pacific and Asian Studies
- Providing media room for lectures and presentations when SPAS’ facilities are either too small for the event or unavailable.
- Providing conference room for Skype calls or Interviews.
- StarTalk - Rental of media rooms and computer lab for Summer StarTalk Chinese Immersion Sports Camp.
- East-West Center
- Rental of computer lab for Brunei-U.S. English-Language Enrichment Programme for ASEAN.
- UHM Study Abroad Center
- Providing bulletin board space for Study Abroad Center to promote their programs.
- Providing media rooms for informational and orientation meetings.
- UHM Office of the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs
- Providing media rooms for meetings with visiting College Evaluation and Review Team.
- Providing computer lab for training, testing and review of online website.
- Waikiki Aquarium
- Rental of audio recording studio for recordings for Waikiki Aquarium Center Tours.
Since 2006, select faculty at UH have provided Chinese language instruction at the advanced level for personnel from the Department of Defense in aid of the DoD’s efforts to maintain force readiness. Cohorts of students complete work in special sections of both online and face-to-face upper-division Chinese language skills courses during winter and summer breaks, some of them earning the Certificate in Chinese. The Center for Language and Technology collaborates in this enterprise by providing instructional space, IT services including courseware for online learning, and IT support.
- Hawai‘i Association of Language Teachers
- Providing media rooms and computer labs for workshops.
- The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- Rental of computer labs and media rooms for Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) tester training workshops.
- American Association of Teachers of French
- Use of media classrooms for the annual French National Contest.
Use of computer lab, via Skype, matching up Brazilian university students with UHM Portuguese 202 students. Language learning in tandem involves pairs of native or non-native speakers of different languages working collaboratively to learn each other’s language.
- Use of media room for the National Board oral medical interpreter certification exam.
- The Center for Interpretation and Translation Studies (CITS) serves as proctors.
Rental of computer labs for pilot testing of new online test of English.
The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, with strong interest from the state of Hawai‘i’s Governor’s office, is coordinating the Hawai‘i Language Roadmap Initiative. The goal is to implement a roadmap for change —in education, in business, in state and county government, and in the community— to help build the future multilingual workforce of Hawai‘i.
Digitized reel-to-reel archives of the Ka Leo Hawaiʻi audio recordings for the online Ulukau project.
Use of computer lab for the Hawaiian Language Placement exam.